Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Changing Face of Work for Women


Dale Brownlee

I am part of the early cohort of Canadian women that worked by choice in noticeable numbers. For us, the first noticeable change was that women’s jobs began to include a broadening range of opportunities that had formerly been closed to most women. In case I paint too rosy a picture, that broadening range of opportunities was horizontal, not vertical!

We got comments like “I think you are selfish to work – you should be having children”, or “It is too bad you HAVE to work.” The famous glass ceiling either did not exist then, or it was made of cement! And there was no shortage of unacceptable comments on our dress and appearance.

Today’s data shows increasing percentages of women in the workplace and in management, and decreasing wage gaps between men and women. And I think that women are now an accepted part of most Canadian workforces. But at the same time women face a huge new challenge that we did not – having to compete not only with men, but also with lots of other women.

Along with that, in the last 5 or so years before I retired, I couldn’t help but notice a disturbing change happening. My generation of women workers were able to depend on each other for support, workplace friendship, a helpful ear. Today’s women are as busy as men focusing on upward mobility. While this is a natural progression, I was distressed to see it accompanied by the formerly male territories of protecting turf, fighting off challengers, and neutralizing the influence of competent (mainly female) colleagues.

Maybe this is a temporary phenomenon and women will be able to return to the true skills of mentoring, supporting and promoting one another. Until that happens however, I have to admit to relief that I am now (happily) retired and out of the range of fire of those I used to consider supporters.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: