Monday, April 23, 2007

It’s swimsuit season…gulp!

It’s inevitable that as spring approaches we are inundated with “get your best body now” and “101 swimsuits to hide those flaws” coverage in television talk shows, magazines and newspapers. True, as a Canadian having lived or worked on both coasts, having weather warm enough to wear a swimsuit in, is fairly exciting. What always gets me is the messaging directed at women. There may be many of us who feel comfortable flaunting our post-baby/post- 20’s/post-surgery, bodies around at a cottage or resort in the summer, but for those that do not look forward to it with the same ease, it does not mean we live in abject fear of the occasion.A great friend of mine, in her mid 50’s will be the first to admit her shape and skin tone have definitely changed as she has aged, but she’s athletic, takes great care of herself (she’s training for a marathon this year) and sees no reason why she needs to run and hide herself in a basic black one-piece with a “skirt”. “My kids, who are in their 20’s are always a little taken aback when I unveil my new suit for the summer - I’m not comfortable in a bikini (but good for anyone at my age who is!) - but I like bright coloured, sexy swimwear, and I make no apologies for it! “The irony here of course is that as more and more women are taking care of themselves, exercising and eating right and are proud of how they look as they age, the sun is making it less and less of a good idea to flaunt it all. We may all end up in ‘adult-sized’ sun-safe one-piece suits (one of my favourite Canadian retailers, MEC - www.mec.ca currently makes great ones for infants and children) someday soon!


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: